Shava Udarakarshanasana (Universal Spinal Twist) – Benefits, Adjustment & Cautions
Shava Udarakarshanasana is also known as Universal Spinal Twist. It is especially useful to practice this pose towards the end of your asana practice. The Universal Spinal Twist aims to realign your hip joint and removes tightness from the lower back. Shava Udarakarshanasana is also helpful in digestion and massaging/stretching the digestive system.
Today we share with you the step-by-step instructions:
1. Lie on your back with your legs and feet together
2. Stretch out your arms to the sides like bird wings
3. Place the palms on the ground
4. Bend the right knee and place the sole of the right foot next to the left knee cap
5. Grab your right knee with your left hand
6. Gently bring the right knee down towards the floor on the left side of your body
7. Maintain the right sole of your foot attached to your left knee cap
8. Turn the head to the right and look at your right hand
9. Keep both shoulder fixed on the mat
10. Don’t lift your right arm off the ground
11. Keep the left leg straight
12. Hold this position for as long as you feel comfortable
13. Take a few deep breaths and relax into the posture
14. You might feel some klicking sound
15. Repeat it on the opposite side
Note: Inhale in the starting position. Exhale while
· Tightness and tiredness is relieved
· Relaxes the lower back
· The pelvic and abdominal organs are toned
· Improves the digestive system
· Balances the nervous system
· Removes stress
· Realign the hip joint
This posture should be avoided if you feel pain while attempting it.
Keep the shoulder attached to the ground to gain maximum stretching. Also you should keep in mind to push your knee toward the ground. This extends your twist and improved the flexibility of your lower back as well. The straight leg should be relaxed. Press your palm onto the floor for more stability and grounding.
Yoga Asana Practise at Gyan Yog Breath
Our Gyan Yog Breath Team publishes weekly asana tutorials for you to help you get into the right practise and understand about various benefits and contra-indications of postures.
Sometimes, reading about a practise can awaken questions and the desire to learn yoga on a much deeper level.
Therefore, we have established three Yoga Alliance registered Yoga Teacher Training Programs that aim to guide you into advanced and higher levels of yoga. Practising yoga regularly clearly has some transformational health benefits. You don’t only create union between yourself and others but most importantly control the fluctuations of the mind. This is the key definition of yoga (“Chitta Vritti Nirodah”).